Tuesday, February 15, 2011

WAKING MY BEDROOM UP FOR SUMMER

The other day I was taking a look at my bedroom and started to think that perhaps it’s time to make some updates. Spring is upon us, and that always reminds me of cleaning, shedding layers and starting afresh. Now that winter is coming to a close, I want to try out a different look in my room. Something fun, something to rejuvenate me.

I’m thinking of a textural, beachy feel. Something reminiscent of Caribbean romance and cool ocean breezes. To obtain that look I am going to focus on draping the bed in white linens, adding a few textural pieces and fun pops of color. Let’s start with the bed. Covering it in white linens, I am planning on adding a nice gold and pink bedspread to lie across the foot of the bed. I want to create a mosquito net feel, by attaching white, gauzy linen to the ceiling and to the head of the bed frame.

Next, let’s move on to the flooring. I may consider ripping out any carpet and replacing with wood paneled flooring or tile. A really fantastic area rug, with a great jute-like textural feel would look phenomenal here. As for new bedroom furniture, a desk or armoire made of darker, teak wood would look great, especially with a vase with a couple of fan palm leafs on top. Rattan seating would complete this look giving the room a generous touch of rustic island flavor.

With just a few changes here and there, it would be very easy to get rid of my stale, winter bedroom look and lighten it up for the spring and summertime. I think I’ll go for it. How will you rejuvenate your room this spring?

No comments:

Post a Comment